Skiing and Culture in St.Donat QuebecOn February 4th, 29 students and 3 teachers embarked on a 5-day trip to St. Donat Quebec for a ski and cultural immersion program. The students tried skiing/snowboarding, cross-country skiing, ice-skating, and snow-shoeing. They also learned traditional folk-tales, participated in music workshops and enjoyed the local cuisine.
A Play on WordsThis year's school play will be presented by the Drama and Dance departments for two nights, February 24 and 25. It is exciting that "A Play on Words" was written by the students themselves. Tickets are only 3.00 and can be purchased at the door.
DECA Student Advancing to North America FinalsStudents from Laurier's DECA team competed in the Regional competition early in November. Eighteen of those students qualified for the Provicial competition in February. At the Provincial competition, one of our students qualified for ICDC (the international competition) held in Orlando, Florida in May.
Laurier Mission Statement
Sir Wilfrid Laurier C.I. is committed to fostering a caring, challenging and safe environment that nurtures the intellectual, personal, physical and social potential of its students. This potential is encouraged by a learning atmosphere that supports global concern and understanding, mutual respect, fairness and cooperation among students, staff and the local, national and international communities. Our school will strive to accomplish this by providing:
- An atmosphere conducive to academic and personal success.
- A positive attitude toward lifelong learning and the development of an inquiring mind.
- An environment contributing to self-worth, self-esteem, equal opportunity and dignity for the individual.
- A setting where mutual consideration and tolerance are expected.
- Through emphasis on character education we encourage the development of committed and concerned global citizens.
- A commitment to the importance of self-discipline, responsibility, a healthy lifestyle and respect for the environment.
IB Diploma Programme
The IB Diploma Programme (DP) is an academically challenging and balanced programme of education that prepares students for success at university and life beyond. It has been designed to address the intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being of students. The programme has gained the recognition and respect from the world’s leading universities.
Students acquire breadth and depth of knowledge and understanding, studying courses from six subject groups. The Diploma Programme prepares students for effective participation in a rapidly evolving and increasingly global society as they:
- develop the skills and a positive attitude towards learning that will prepare them for higher education
- study at least two languages and increase understanding of cultures, including their own
- make connections across traditional academic disciplines and explore the nature of knowledge through the programme’s unique theory of knowledge course
- undertake in-depth research into an area of interest through the lens of one or more subject disciplines in the extended essay
- enhance their personal and interpersonal development through creativity, action and service.
International Baccalaureate Organization